This was the first pattern I tried from Jalie, a Canadian pattern company, that I discovered through Pattern Review. I ordered a couple of different patterns, and decided to try this one first as it currently has 80+ reviews!
I chose a pink and black stripe synthetic, probably polyester, and used a black cotton/lycra for the bands around the neckline. I made a straight size Z, as Jalie recommend you choose your size based on your full bust measurement.
It went together easily, as the instructions while a bit sparse also include step by step diagrams which are very clear. The only change I made was to sew the sleeve hems before I did the seams, as the sleeve wouldn’t fit around my free arm very well once sewn.
|A good representation of the colour|
Unfortunately the neck and shoulder area was quite loose, and I ended up having to wear a tank tee under it to cover my bra straps, and feel comfortable wearing it.
Also, having been through the wash just twice (in a lingerie bag), the black parts of the fabric unravelled and the top had big slits where the black had ‘washed’ out. It ended up in the bin, as there wasn’t even any salvageable fabric left!
After going back to PR for advice I made another attempt, this time using a size X (my high bust measurement) through the shoulders and armscye, and then a size Z from armscye down. I also used a better fabric, this time an ITY knit, again with the cotton/lycra bands. Again I sewed the sleeve hems first, and I also stretched the elastic at the bust a little more to get a bit of extra gathering.
Overall, I am much happier with the fit of this version. The neckline sits against my chest better with no gaping, and no bra strap flashing. The smaller size resulted in the neckline being raised, and also the shoulder seams being closer together, essentially a smaller neckline ‘square’.
So far, the top has gone through the wash with no signs of spontaneous combustion too.
This Post Has One Comment
Looks great on – will have to think a out making this one 🙂