This dress, though not my usual style, really appealed to me when it was released at the beginning of last year.
I right away set to shortening the pieces, and then found myself some navy seersucker to trial it.
I was going along merrily until I got to sewing the centre front seam, and could not for the life of me get the collar points to meet in the front, as shown in the illustration above.
Then the neckline facing was trying to escape out that same gap!
This was hung on the back of my sewing room door with the other W.I.P’s, and there it stayed until a couple of weeks ago, when I decided to release it from it’s exile and see if I could save it.
I took it in for some advice from the always lovely Maryanne, at Made on Marion, where she diagnosed my error and promptly explained what I needed to do to fix it.
After the fairly simple fix, all it actually needed to be finished was side seams and the hem sewn! 15 minutes of work, after languishing for a year. Doh!
Having now completed it, I believe the fabric to be a little too firm for this design, as it has a much more architectural look than I was hoping for.
As this was originally conceived as a pattern trial I’m not too upset, though I may take some of the width out of the ‘wings’, because I otherwise like the fit and colour on me.
Verdict: I would like to try it again in another more drapey fabric, perhaps a rayon, tencel or similar.